Scores of Bulgarians took to the streets of the capital Sofia on Friday, the 176th anniversary of the birth of the country’s national hero, Vasil Levski.
For over a month daily rallies have been held to call for the resignation of the new government protesters accuse of being riddled with corruption.
“It’s just unique, not only do I have the feeling I live in a police state but in a state which has absolutely nothing to do with its people,” said one man taking part in the latest demonstrations.
“We are sitting here because Sofia must be blocked. Let’s all go onto the streets today because Sofia must be blocked. Today is the day of Levski. Today is the day of change,” said another.
The protester’s numbers were expected to grow during the evening, as organisers had called for a show of strength to celebrate the national day. The daily political protests have also been at their best-attended in the evenings.
Five years of EU membership have seen Bulgaria remain rooted at the bottom of the EU’s wealth table, and the people are increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:11 CET Bombs in north Nigeria’s Kaduna kill at least 82
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker
- 16:41 CET Chaos as Czech parliament approves, then scraps, petrol tax cut
- 15:20 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at…