The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 3Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 4Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 5Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 6Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 7#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 12Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 13Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 14Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 15No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 16Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 17Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 18WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
- 19Love learning, stop hating! | euronews, generation y
- 20Money talks: divided Lithuania prepares to join the euro | euronews, reporter