The summer concert is a cultural highlight on the island of Malta where every year international music stars are invited to perform in the city of Floriana with the Maltese National Orchestra, conducted by Maestro Steven Mercurio. Current host and founder of the event is Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja.This year’s guests included Italian pop/rock star Zucchero, who performed his 1992 hit “Miserere” alongside Calleja.
Rebecca Ferguson performed on the city’s famous Granaries square in front of St. Publius Church. Rebecca Ferguson is a British singer-songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when she became the runner-up on the seventh series of reality song contest “The X Factor”.Another highlight of the evening was an appearance from Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest finalist Gianluca-Xemx who also performed with Calleja. Calleja sang the classical “O sole mio” – the Neapolitan song that shot to international fame in the world of opera when it was covered by Enrico Caruso.
Calleja began singing at the age of 16 and went on to win numerous international opera competitions. Now in his mid thirties, Calleja is considered one of the most promising young tenors of the 21st century. At his Summer Concert in Malta he aims to bring classical music to a larger audience.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing | euronews, world news
- 5Transasia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan | euronews, world news
- 6Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 8Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 9US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 10Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 11Banking for everyone: Africa’s next big challenge | euronews, focus
- 12Kalamata Dance Festival hits 20 with a spring in its step | euronews, le mag
- 13Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 14Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 15Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 16Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 17No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 18Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 19WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
- 20Love learning, stop hating! | euronews, generation y