Gay bars in London and across the UK have called for a show of solidarity against Russia’s anti-gay laws on the eve of the the World Athletics Championships in Moscow by boycotting Russian vodka.
They’re also boycotting all Russian vodka in solidarity with Russia’s gay community. Other cities like New York and San Francisco have followed suit.
Gary Henshaw is the owner of Ku Bar. He told euronews:
‘‘So that the ripple effect is growing, and you know at the end of the day if the whole world stops buying Russian products, they’re going to feel that.’‘
The bar’s customers are also fully behind the boycott:
“I think it will draw attention to the problem, but I’m not sure it will resolve the issue altogether. But it definitely will draw attention and raise people’s awareness of problem the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual) population is facing in Russia today.’‘
Protestors are now targetting the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, which Russia is due to host.
Russian investigators said in May that a young man had been tortured and killed after revealing that he was gay.
On Wednesday, gay British broadcaster Stephen Fry published an open letter to British premier David Cameron, IOC President Jacques Rogge and London Olympics chief Sebastian Coe.
He compared the Sochi games to the Nazi-run 1936 Berlin summer Olympics, which he said were a “stain on the Five Rings” and urged the IOC to take a firm stance against the “barbaric, fascist laws that Putin has pushed through the Duma (Russian parliament)”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut
- 2EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president
- 3Ukraine: Mariupol digs trenches, prepares to defend city
- 4Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 2Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 3NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 4Obama backs claims of Russian troops in Ukraine
- 5[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine – Russia – NATO – Syria – Ebola
- 1Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 2Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 3Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 7Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 10Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 11Banking for everyone: Africa’s next big challenge | euronews, focus
- 12Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 13Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 14Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 15Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 16Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 17No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 18Spain treats Europe’s first case of Ebola | euronews, world news
- 19Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 20Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:16 CET Lesotho PM says army staged coup, flees to South Africa
- 01:03 CET Seriously ill boy taken from UK hospital found in Spain – police
- 00:14 CET Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier – video
- 00:05 CET Philippine peacekeepers rescued from militants on Golan – U.N.
- 23:25 CET Modi seeks Japan’s help for ‘inclusive vision’ on first big trip
- 23:21 CET 22 miners rescued from Nicaragua gold mine after landslide
- 22:59 CET Obama, Harper discuss NATO summit, Iraq in phone call – White House
- 22:00 CET Bahrain detains Shi’ite rights activist on arrival at airport