An animal, said to resemble a cross between a house cat and a teddy bear, is the newest mammal and first carnivore to be discovered in the Americas in 35 years – according to experts.
The ‘Olinguito’ is the smallest member of the raccoon family and is native to high altitude forests in Colombia and Ecuador.
“We haven’t been able to find anyone that knows about this animal. We haven’t been able to find native names for it, that’s why we used the term ‘Olinguito,’” said zoologist Kristofer Helgen, from the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C.
“Most of the people we’ve been able to discuss this with… don’t necessarily even distinguish Kinkajous, Olingos and Olinguitos and sometimes not even from some of the primates that are out there,” he continued.
It is not easy spotting one of the long-tailed, furry animals. Olinguitos only come out at night – and spend most of their time in the forest canopy.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 06:03 CET Captain of stricken Korean ferry may not have been on bridge -…
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake