Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Iran has responded to latest US peace proposal, foreign ministry official says

A man walks past an anti-Israel mural in downtown Tehran, 17 May, 2026
A man walks past an anti-Israel mural in downtown Tehran, 17 May, 2026 Copyright  AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Malek Fouda & Gavin Blackburn
Published on Updated
Share Comments
Share Close Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below: Copy to clipboard Copied

On Sunday, Iran's Fars news agency said Washington had presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.

Iran said Monday it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war, adding that exchanges were continuing despite Iranian media reports describing Washington's demands as excessive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Washington and Tehran have been swapping proposals in an effort to end the conflict which broke out on 28 February.

The two sides have held a single round of talks so far amid a fragile ceasefire in place since 8 April.

"As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side," foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said during a press briefing Monday, adding that exchanges were "continuing through the Pakistani mediator" without providing details.

Baqaei defended Iran's demands including the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad and the lifting of long-standing sanctions.

A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, 17 May, 2026
A woman holds an Iranian flag during a pro-government campaign in downtown Tehran, 17 May, 2026 AP Photo

"The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations," he said.

He also defended an Iranian stipulation that the US pay war reparations, describing the conflict as "illegal and baseless."

On the possibility of another military confrontation, Baqaei said Iran was "fully prepared for any eventuality."

On Sunday, Iran's Fars news agency said Washington had presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

The US had refused to release "even 25 percent" of Iran's frozen assets or pay any reparations for war damage, according to Fars.

US President Donald Trump gestures to reporters as he walks across the South Lawn of the White House, 15 May, 2026
US President Donald Trump gestures to reporters as he walks across the South Lawn of the White House, 15 May, 2026 AP Photo

The report said the US had also made clear it would only cease hostilities when Tehran engages in formal peace negotiations.

Iran's Mehr news agency said "the United States, offering no tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations."

It described the US conditions as "excessive."

In an earlier proposal, which was sent last week, Iran had called for an end to the war on all fronts, including Israel's campaign in Lebanon, as well as a halt to a US naval blockade on Iranian ports in place since 13 April.

It also called for the lifting of all US sanctions on Iran and the release of its assets frozen abroad.

A screenshot of a post on US President Donald Trump's Truth Social account, 18 May, 2026
A screenshot of a post on US President Donald Trump's Truth Social account, 18 May, 2026 @realDonaldTrump

Fars said that Iranian proposal had emphasised that Tehran would continue to manage the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which Iran has largely kept closed since the start of the war.

US President Donald Trump warned late on Sunday that "there won't be anything left of Iran" if it didn't quickly agree to US' demands and enter into a deal to secure a permanent ceasefire, threatening a resumption of hostilities with increased intensity.

"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!" Trump wrote in a post on his social media platform, Truth Social.

Additional sources • AP, AFP

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Oil prices climb as Donald Trump signals tougher action on Iran

Drone strike sparks fire near UAE nuclear plant amid Iran ceasefire tension

Iraq swears in new prime minister as US presses Baghdad to disarm Iran-backed groups